Build a Shoe Rack for Your Closet
The bottom of your closet can easily become a mess, cluttered with shoes and other miscellaneous items. Did you know that simply tossing your shoes in your closet could potentially damage them? Today, let us show you how to build a shoe rack to organise your beloved footwear and protect them. This will also help you know exactly what you have so you don’t end up wearing the same shoes again and again.
What you will need:
- 2 shelf planks (Length = the width of desired location in your closet | Width = roughly the size of your shoes)
- 4 support planks (Length = 20cm | Width = the width of your shelf planks)
- Before doing anything, it is important to measure the exact width of the space where your shelves will stand. This will determine the length of your planks, which will be used as your shelves. You should also measure the size of your feet/shoes to determine the width of the planks, which will determine the depth of your shelves.
- Once you have these measurements, visit your nearest hardware store and have wood cut to those measurements. Remember to include your 4 support planks which should be the she width or your shelf planks and around 20cm high to fit your shoes.
- Once you have your wood, make sure it’s clean by wiping it down with a clean, damp rag.
- Attach 2 support pieces on each shelf with wood glue and let it dry completely. Place one on each, around 3cm in. If you feel that you need more support, you can fasten the supports using wood screws and an electric screwdriver – simply add 2 screws for each support, straight down through the shelf planks.
- Once both shelf planks have their supports properly fastened, glue one on top of the other using wood glue again. You can again add extra security using wood screws. This time, simply screw 2 screws on either end again, but diagonally. Space it out as not to hit the other screws.
- You’re done! You can leave it as is, or paint it in a colour of you.