How to make a Garden Swing
The materials required are:
- Pressure treated wood 5cm x 20cm board, 120cm in length
- 30 metres of 1.6cm diameter hollow-core braided polypropylene rope,
- Ten 7.5cm corrosion resistant deck screws
- Sanding block
- Course and fine grit sandpaper
- 2 Stainless Steel Chain Links
- Wood Glue
- Roll of kite string
- One sturdy tree
- Cordless Drill/Driver
- Carpenter’s square
- Tape measure
- Spirit level
- The seat is a 92cm length of 5cm by 20cm pressure treated lumber.
- The seat reinforcements are a 10cm length of 5 x 20cm.
- Round off the front and rear edges of the bench seat with sandpaper so it does not dig into your legs when sitting.
- Attach the reinforcing blocks to the bottom ends of seat with Wood Glue and the five 7.5cm wood screws.
- Locate and drill the 1.9cm holes for the rope 5cm from the outside end of the seat and 3.8cm inches from the front and back sides.
- Halve your rope and tie each piece into a slipknot (a running bowline knot is best) over the branches of the tree with your rope.
- With your remaining rope measure two equal sized pieces and push each end of rope through the holes in the seat and tie a stopper knot. (you should have 4 stopper knots in total meaning ropes will form a triangle with the steel chain links) Ensure that ropes are equal at this stage to ensure your chair is level.
- Add the stainless steel chain links to the rope now. Stainless steel is very strong and is adequate to support one’s weight. However, do not use aluminium, as it is not strong enough.
- Adjust the rope so that the seat is about 60cm from the ground.
- Attach the rope hanging from the tree to the top end of the chain link with a knot called a Buntline Hitch.
- Before trying the last Buntline Hitch knot to the other side, use the spirit level to ensure that the swing seat is level and adjust the rope accordingly.
- Melt the ends of the rope with the lighter to seal the braids, preventing the rope from unravelling.
- Check the tree limb every season to see that’s it’s healthy, strong and the rope is in good shape!