JUNE, THE BEST TIME OF YEAR TO DO YOUR PAINTING PROJECTS
For Mica, June is our painting season, but why is that? In most parts of South Africa, June is a great time to start and finish your painting ventures, whether it’s recolouring the exterior or inside of your home or doing the minor maintenance projects like: re-painting the kitchen cupboards, waterproofing the bathroom or re-varnishing the wooden furniture. Now is a great time to start and finish those tasks. Thanks to the innovation in exterior paint elements, it is now possible to apply paint to your home’s exterior in the colder months.
If you stay in an area that does not have high humidity and rainfall, then June is the best time to paint before the summer rain and heat arrives. Humidity and high moisture levels can severely affect the paint’s endurance so now is a good time to paint the exterior of your home as the low humidity will ensure that the paint cures faster.
See your local weather forecasts to determine which days will be suitable to start your painting projects on and when the temperatures will be at their highest because you will need to consider in ample drying time. Paint takes longer to dry in cooler conditions, so adequate drying time is required before temperatures begin to drop at night. If temperatures drop too quickly in the evening, then dew can potentially form, and too much moisture on an uncured exterior can cause unwanted issues, such as, adhesion concerns and potential staining.
Getting a painting contractor during the winter season will be a simple task as now is usually a quiet time for the industry. Ensure your contractor uses the right type of paint and always keep your painting supplies stored at room temperature during the night so that you get smooth results from a flawless application.
Other painting maintenance tasks which you can do in June:
- Repair, re-varnish and reseal weathered wood on windows, decks and patios.
- Seal and putty any deteriorating wooden windows.
- Protect your metal objects – metal objects should be kept free of dust, debris, and oily residues. Take the time to make your locks and keys last longer by cleaning them with a liquid lubricant and also oil any noisy hinges, door locks and padlocks.
- Safeguard your exterior walls and roof from the harsh UV rays with a UV and weather resistance paint.
- Tackle damp problems and mouldy areas by using an anti-fungal or anti mould paint in areas with high condensation such as kitchens, bathrooms and basements.
You can purchase any type of paint or painting accessory from your local Mica Hardware CLICK HERE for our helpful store locator, to help keep your home looking maintained and in tip-top condition!
Let Us Show You How