Make a Rope Ottoman
20 August 2014
What you will need:
- Used tyre
- 6mm MDF cut into 2 x 55cm diameter circles
- 6 screws
- Glue gun
- 6 Tubes of Glue
- Brush-on Sealer
- 5m Long and 10mm thick natural twisted rope
- Clean any dirt or grime off the tyre, allow to dry if wet.
- Place a MDF board on top of the tyre in position and drill three distant holes into the rubber.
- Use the screws to secure the board onto the tyre.
- Turn the tyre over and repeat step 2 and 3 on the other side.
- Using your glue gun and rope start in the centre of the circle to achieve a satisfying finish. Glue the end of the rope to the centre of the circle.
- Hold the end in place and start going in a snail shape. Apply glue before every round to make sure it will hold tightly.
- Continue until reach the tyre. Be sure the rope meets the edge of the board.
- Turn the tyre over and continue twisting the rope around the tyre, applying glue before every round.
- Once the rubber is covered with the rope, cut the edge and glue down to secure.
- The bottom board should be left open.
- Turn the tyre over and brush the rope with sealant to secure.
- Allow to dry and place in desired spot.