Make a Rubik’s Cube Coffee Table
What you will need:
- 2400 x 1200 x 16mm sheet of Medium Density Fibreboard
- Flat acrylic paint in black
- Gloss acrylic paint in red, orange, yellow, green, blue and white
- 25mm masking tape
- Paint roller
- 8-gauge 40mm countersunk wood screws
- 2 surface-mount concealed hinges
- Brass-plated magnetic door catch
- 4 black rubber feet
- Black plastic screw caps
- Shelf support pins
- Metal ruler
- Drill and drill bits
- Cut your wood to these sizes: two 600 x 600mm, two 600 x 568mm, two 568 x 568mm and one 568 x 560mm (for the shelf).
- Paint the wood pieces with 2 coats of black paint on each side. Leave to dry.
- On one side of each of the two 600 x 600mm sides, measure and mark 300mm from what will be the bottom of the cube, and 70mm in from the front and back edges. Drill holes to suit size of the shelf support pins.
- Drill holes for the 40mm countersunk wood screws. Assemble the cube on 5 sides with the screws.
- Draw lines 205mm in from each edge on outside faces of cube and door piece. Mask off outside edge on all sides, then centre tape over ruled lines to make squares.
- Place your paint roller in gloss paint. Use a different colour for each side of cube applying 2 coats for each side.
- Once dry remove the masking tape.
- Attach hinges to the inside of box and the door, then attach the door.
- ttach shelf support pins inside cube, once you are certain that it’s stable position the shelf on the pins.
- Fix the magnetic catch inside door. Screw the rubber feet to lower edges and hide the countersunk screw heads around cube with plastic caps.