Make a Braided Doormat
What you will need:
- Large piece of scrap paper as a guide
- 50 m of thick, braided nylon rope
- Cover your work surface with the paper
- Draw a cross on the paper. It needs a 84 cm vertical line and a 32 cm horizontal line. This will be the dimension of your mat.
- As you follow instructions and weave, use the cross as a guide and tape down the loops to hold the shape.
- Starting at one end of rope, form a loose knot as shown; leave a 76cm tail on right side and slack on left side. Gently pull down on loops.
- Flip loops to left as shown. Lift the
- first loop and cross it over the second. Using tail end, weave as shown.
- Using slack end, weave diagonally toward bottom right. Pull rope through. Continue weaving back to top as shown, adjusting rope to resemble diagram.
- Follow path of first round with slack end, staying parallel to previous round. Pull rope through after each pass, weaving until mat is formed.
- Finish ends by using a needle to sew through the rope just below any frayed ends and tightly wrap thread around rope a couple of times. Sew through several more times to secure. Cut off end of rope just above thread. Singe frayed ends with a lighter to seal; sew to underside. Apply permanent craft glue to underside between ropes in spots to prevent shifting.
Mica would like to credit the Martha Stewart Website for this project.
You can visit this website at http://www.marthastewart.com