Make Your Own Shutters
Most homes could easily be given a “chocolate box” look by adding shutters to the windows. Pair this with a lush, colourful garden and you’ve got yourself a picture-perfect English cottage look. Of course, shutters might look out of place on a modern, contemporary home with large windows, so consider the style of your home and window size first. Today, we will show you how to make your own shutters.
You will need:
- Six 120mm wide planks per window. The length will depend on your window
- Four 360mm x 120mm planks (length = width of 3 planks)
- Acrylic paint (primer and top coat)
- Wood glue
What to do:
- Start by measuring out the length of your windows, as this will determine the length of your planks.
- In this tutorial we are using 3 vertical planks on either side, but you may use more if you wish. Remember to account for this in the length of your 4 additional, horizontal planks.
- Lay your vertical planks out in 2 groups of 3. Measure about 120mm in on either side and use wood glue to secure your horizontal planks in place.
- For added security, you may use wood screws. Drill 3 pilot holes through your horizontal planks (1 for each vertical plank) and then screw them in place.
- Once the wood glue is dry and you’re satisfied that your shutters are secure, give them a quick sanding and then wipe them down with a damp rag to prepare for painting.
- Once clean and dry, paint a coat of acrylic primer to set your shutters up for painting topcoats.
- Once your primer is dry, give it a light sanding before continuing. Remember to wipe it down after sanding.
- Now you can apply your topcoat in the colour of your choice. 2 coats should be sufficient. Once your first coat is dry, give it a light sanding again and rub your shutters down before adding your next coat.
- To attach your shutters, drill 4 pilot holes through each shutter. One in each corner. Next, place your shutters in their desired location and mark your holes on the wall.
- Depending on the material of your wall, select the appropriate drill bit and drill. Insert a plastic wall plug firmly in each hole.
- Screw your shutters in place with the horizontal planks in front and there you go – a beautiful feature to give your home an added dose of charm!